If a radiation emergency occurs, you can take actions to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your pets.
Radiation and Your Health
Radiation can affect the body in a number of ways, and the adverse health effects of exposure may not be apparent for many years.
- Possible Health Effects of Radiation Exposure and Contamination
- Treatments for Radiation Exposure and Contamination
- Health Information for Specific Groups
Information for Professionals
Resources for professionals in making an informed decision during a radiation emergency.
- Information for Clinicians
- Public Health Preparedness Capabilities
- Radiation Emergency Resource Library -- Additional CDC webpages, documents, and videos on radiation emergencies, organized by topic
- Radiation Emergency Toolkits -- FREE toolkits available
- Radiation Emergency Training and Education
To order materials, request them through CDC-INFO
Highlights / In The News
The CDC is monitoring the situation in Japan.
At this time:
- There is no travel advisory for Japan because of radiation hazards.
- There is no radiation hazard in the United States from Japan.
- There is no radiation hazard for food, including seafood.
More information on Japan can be found here.
NEW! Use of Environmental Monitoring Data to Support Public Health Decision Making in Radiation Emergencies is a panel discussion focused on identifying federal resources available to respond to radiation emergencies, discussing the response timeline, and describing the types of information and data products that will be available to responders and decision makers.
NEW! Educational Videos
Protective Actions, Pharmaceutical Countermeasures, and Health Effects.
A Guide to Operating Public Shelters in a Radiation Emergency (February 2015) has been developed to assist with planning and response efforts related to shelter operations in a radiation emergency. This guide is the result of a multiagency collaboration exploring the unique challenges radiation emergencies pose for shelter operations.
- Page last reviewed: July 10, 2014
- Page last updated: September 8, 2016
- Content source:
- Maintained By: