Preparation and Planning for Bioterrorism Emergencies
Use the resources on this page to plan and prepare for a possible bioterrorism attack. For resources relevant to preparation and planning for all types of emergencies, please see Emergency Preparedness and Response: Preparation and Planning.
See the Bioterrorism Agents page for more information about specific agents.
- Recommendations for the Selection and Use of Respirators and Protective Clothing for Protection Against Biological Agents (2009)
- Considerations for Anthrax Vaccine Adsorbed (AVA) Post-Exposure Prioritization (2013)
- Public Health Emergency Response Guide for State, Local, & Tribal Public Health Directors
All-hazards reference tool for health professionals who are responsible for initiating the public health response during the first 24 hours (i.e., the acute phase) of an emergency or disaster. Guide also available in Spanish. (2011)
- Guidance for Protecting Building Environments from Airborne Chemical, Biological, or Radiological Attacks From the National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health, CDC (2002)
- Bioterrorism Readiness Plan: A Template for Healthcare Facilities (1999)
- Guidance on Initial Responses to a Suspicious Letter/Container With a Potential Biological Threat
Guidelines for local responders, based on existing procedures, on the initial response to letters, packages, or containers containing suspicious powders, liquids, or other materials. Developed by HHS/CDC, FBI, & DHS. (2004)
- Cooperative Agreement Guidance for Public Health Emergency Preparedness
Guidance for CDC emergency preparedness funding for states. CDC has announced the availability of FY 2006 funding for continuation of the cooperative agreements to upgrade state & local public health jurisdictions’ preparedness for & response to bioterrorism, other outbreaks of infectious disease, & other public health threats & emergencies.
- MMWR: Biological & Chemical Terrorism: Strategic Plan for Preparedness & Response
Recommendations of the CDC Strategic Planning Workgroup. (2000)
- Strategic National Stockpile
National repository of pharmaceuticals & medical supplies.
- Epi-X: The Epidemic Information Exchange
Secure, Web-based communications network connecting CDC with state & local health departments, poison control centers, & other public health professionals.
- Regulations to control communicable diseases
42 U.S.C. 264 (From United States Code Annotated; Title 42; The Public Health & Welfare; Chapter 6a–Public Health Service; Subchapter Ii–General Powers & Duties.; Part G–Quarantine & Inspection).
- Page last reviewed: July 30, 2018
- Page last updated: October 29, 2018
- Content source: National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)
- Maintained By: