Information for the public can be found on the Smallpox Disease page.
- Smallpox Response Plan & Guidelines
Outlines the public health strategies that would guide the public health response to a smallpox emergency and many of the federal, state, and local public health activities that must be undertaken in a smallpox outbreak.
- Isolation and Quarantine Guidelines
"Guide C" in the Smallpox Response Plan & Guidelines
(236 KB/14 pages)
(174 KB/8 pages)
- Communications Plans and Activities
"Guide E " in the Smallpox Response Plan & Guidelines
(581 KB/29 pages)
- Environmental Control of Smallpox Virus
"Guide F " in the Smallpox Response Plan & Guidelines
(227 KB/10 pages)
- Checklists for State/Local/CDC Personnel Actions in a Smallpox Emergency (292 KB/7 pages)
"Annex 8 " in the Smallpox Response Plan & Guidelines
- Smallpox Case Definitions
Includes clinical case definition, lab criteria for confirmation, case classification, clinical types of variola major
- Aftermath of a Hypothetical Smallpox Disaster
Emerging Infectious Diseases 1999 Jul-Aug;5(4):547-551.
- Consensus Statement: Smallpox as a Biological Weapon: Medical & Public Health Management
Henderson D, Inglesby T, Bartlett J, Ascher MS, Eitzen E, Jahrling, PB
JAMA 1999 Jun 9;281(22):2127-2137.
(361 KB/11 pages)
Concise, bulleted summary of the full article
(165 KB/6 pages)
- Amendment to Extend January 24, 2003 HHS Declaration Regarding Administration of Smallpox Countermeasures (12 KB/2 pages)
Extends the 2003 declaration regarding smallpox vaccine administration for another year, until & including Jan 23, 2005.
- HHS Declaration Regarding Administration of Smallpox Countermeasures (215 KB/5 pages)
Jan 24, 2003 declaration from the Secretary of Health & Human Services. See also the 2004 extension of this declaration.
- Communicating in the First Hours: Smallpox
The First Hours project provides messages and other resources for federal, state, local, and tribal public health officials to use during a response to an emergency. Developed by CDC in collaboration with the Office of Public Affairs of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
- Smallpox: Disease, Prevention, & Intervention
Developed by CDC & WHO for training smallpox response teams
- Smallpox: What Every Clinician Should Know (interactive version)
Provides information for clinicians on clinical features, diagnosis, & treatment of smallpox & the characteristics & use of smallpox vaccine.
- Smallpox: What Every Clinician Should Know (video)
Frequently Asked Questions