Radiological Terrorism: A Tool Kit for Public Health Officials
CDC continues to play a continuing role in terrorism response and planning efforts with regard to radiological or nuclear events. We have identified, through audience research, significant gaps in knowledge and skills among public health professionals regarding their ability to respond to a radiological emergency. This is of critical concern since public health professionals will play a major role in such an incident. CDC’s goal is to help build important public health capacity and assist in preparing professionals to respond to such a situation. This tool kit was developed for that purpose. In addition to the information below, the tool kit also includes a CD ROM with CDC fact sheets and the Environmental Protection Agency’s guide, Communicating Radiation Risks, Crisis Communications for Emergency Responders.
The tool kit includes several items that should be useful for public health officials:
- Public Health Planning for Radiological and Nuclear Terrorism
Provides education and the latest CDC guidance in assisting public health officials in developing emergency response plans for mass casualty incidents.
- Population Monitoring in Radiation Emergencies: A Guide for State and Local Public Health Planners (3.6 MB/75 pages)
Provides specific CDC guidance for public health officials and emergency preparedness planners at the state, local, and tribal levels on planning a public health response to radiological or nuclear terrorism incidents involving mass casualties.
- Guidelines for Handling Decedents Contaminated with Radioactive Materials
CDC guidelines for medical examiners, coroners, and morticians in handling surface contamination, internal contamination, or shrapnel on or in decedents’ bodies.
- Videos: Guidelines for Handling Decedents Contaminated With Radioactive Material
- Screening People for External Contamination: How to Use Hand-Held Radiation Survey Equipment Provides skills training for staff members assigned to conduct radiation survey screening using hand-held detectors.
To order copies of the kit that include this material and information on preparing for population monitoring, decontamination, and the role of public health during a nuclear/radiological terrorist incident, please complete the online order form or send an e-mail request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address: