Stay Tuned for Information on Mental Health
- Any emergency, including those involving radiation, can cause emotional and psychological distress.
- Radiation is a complex topic, and it is unfamiliar to many people, which can make the psychological effects of a radiation disaster stronger.
- Monitoring and treating mental and physical symptoms during a radiation emergency is important for short- and long-term mental health.
- One of the most significant aspects of major radiation emergencies is the potential for long-term effect on people and the environment.
- The long-term recovery process after a radiation emergency can lead to increased emotional and psychological distress.
- Click here for more information on coping with disasters.
- Page last updated August 22, 2013
- Page last reviewed August 22, 2013
- Content source: Radiation Studies Branch (RSB), Division of Environmental Hazards and Health Effects (EHHE), National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH), Coordinating Center for Environmental Health and Injury Prevention (CCEHIP)