Surveillance for Bioterrorism
NOTE: the following is a list of surveillance resources related specifically to bioterrorism. For surveillance resources relevant to all types of emergencies, please see Emergency Preparedness and Response: Surveillance.
Surveillance for Specific Agents
- Anthrax: Detection and Response
- More information about specific agents can be found on the Bioterrorism Agents page.
Surveillance for All Bioterrorism
- Bioterrorism Case Definitions
- MMWR: Recognition of Illness Associated with the Intentional Release of a Biologic Agent
MMWR 2001 Oct 19;50(41):893-897.
Provides guidance for healthcare providers & public health personnel about recognizing illnesses or patterns of illness that might be associated with intentional release of biologic agents.
PDF (168 KB/20 pages)
- Syndrome Definitions for Diseases Associated with Critical Bioterrorism-associated Agents
ICD-9-CM codes that can be used in syndromic surveillance programs.
- EID Journal: Endemic, Notifiable Bioterrorism-Related Diseases, United States, 1992–1999
Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003 May;9(5):556-564.
- National Electronic Disease Surveillance System (NEDSS)
Project description, draft standards, & documentation. From HISSB (Health Information & Surveillance Systems Board).
Additional Research & References